Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna start this off with if this is a duplicate then please delete. I did some searching and did not see anything related to my issue - similar, but not the same. One request though - can you point me in that threads' direction?
I have an '07 Solstice GXP with 117k miles on it and the Service ESC light and message pops up on the Driver Information Center.
That may sound like all the other threads, but this is where this one gets strange -
When driving, everything seems normal for about a mile. Then a loud buzzing noise comes from the front and the brakes start to pulsate as if they are grabbing and letting go; almost in an ABS fashion, but, it pulls to the passenger side. This goes on until it comes to a full and complete stop and then it doesn't come back until you get to about 15mph. All the while the DIC is showing the traction control light and flashing ESC OFF.
Needless to say I have not left the neighborhood in a while.
If she stops and goes enough times this issue eventually stops and the Service ESC with the traction control off light comes up.
I put new wheels on her two years ago and replaced all four wheels' brake pads on Wednesday, 6 May just thinking maybe that was the issue.
Anybody ever see this before?

·
Super Moderator
7,162 Posts
When did this start in relation to the work you did to it?

My first guess is that one of your wheel speed sensors (or more likely its connecting cable) has been damaged.

I suggest that you put it into "ESC Off" mode by pushing the Traction Control button and holding it in for 5 seconds or so. Try driving as you described and see if the behavior changes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When did this start in relation to the work you did to it?

My first guess is that one of your wheel speed sensors (or more likely its connecting cable) has been damaged.

I suggest that you put it into "ESC Off" mode by pushing the Traction Control button and holding it in for 5 seconds or so. Try driving as you described and see if the behavior changes.
It started before I did the work to it, back in February, really. I had foot surgery and couldn't drive her so she sat in an automotive cocoon for a while only being started and warmed up until the last few weeks. Now that my foot is healed I want to get her on the road again and what I thought was a one time thing turned out not to be.
All I did, almost two weeks ago now, was change the brake pads which did need replacing. I figured while I had her up in the air I might be able to see some kind of loose connection or broken wire (like what you mentioned), but I saw nothing.
I did try turning off the ESC by holding down the button and the handling changed - not in a bad way, but not the same as what it was.

·
Super Moderator
7,162 Posts
It started before I did the work to it, back in February, really. I had foot surgery and couldn't drive her so she sat in an automotive cocoon for a while only being started and warmed up until the last few weeks. Now that my foot is healed I want to get her on the road again and what I thought was a one time thing turned out not to be.
All I did, almost two weeks ago now, was change the brake pads which did need replacing. I figured while I had her up in the air I might be able to see some kind of loose connection or broken wire (like what you mentioned), but I saw nothing.
I did try turning off the ESC by holding down the button and the handling changed - not in a bad way, but not the same as what it was.
So, new wheels two years ago, this problem started about three months ago, and you replaced the brakes after that?
And nothing else has happened? Big pot hole, deep water, etc?

Did you do scan for trouble codes? There will be one if a hardware failure that the car can detect has occured.

So what is the new symptom? Does it only occur while braking?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, new wheels two years ago, this problem started about three months ago, and you replaced the brakes after that?
And nothing else has happened? Big pot hole, deep water, etc?

Did you do scan for trouble codes? There will be one if a hardware failure that the car can detect has occured.

So what is the new symptom? Does it only occur while braking?
That's correct about the wheels and brakes. Admittedly the brakes were a shot in the dark, but they did need replacing.
No pot holes, I don't take her out in inclement weather and she stays in a car port.
I just ordered a reader, so that should be here by Thursday because I want to see the actual code as well. As for while braking? It does when the ESC is on, but not when off. That;s only a temp fix, so...
Once I get the reader I will report back.
I was talking to my girlfriends son and he mentioned the speed sensors as well because he had the same issue on an older BMW he had. His, when replaced, crumbled because they were dry rotted, but that resolved the issue.
That brings another question - Do the hubs need to be removed in order to replace them?

·
Super Moderator
7,162 Posts
That's correct about the wheels and brakes. Admittedly the brakes were a shot in the dark, but they did need replacing.
No pot holes, I don't take her out in inclement weather and she stays in a car port.
I just ordered a reader, so that should be here by Thursday because I want to see the actual code as well. As for while braking? It does when the ESC is on, but not when off. That;s only a temp fix, so...
Once I get the reader I will report back.
I was talking to my girlfriends son and he mentioned the speed sensors as well because he had the same issue on an older BMW he had. His, when replaced, crumbled because they were dry rotted, but that resolved the issue.
That brings another question - Do the hubs need to be removed in order to replace them?
It wasn't intended to be a fix, it was a step in troubleshooting. Are you saying that everything works corrctly when ESC is off?

I would expect you to still have some symptoms with braking, as the ABS is supposed to stay on even with ESC off, but while driving turning ESC off should make the car behave normally.

The ABS sensors are built into the hubs, so you will be replacing the whole thing. One good reason to look for a broken wire or loose connector. I haven't heard of any problems with the sensors themselves failing although it may be that i missed that particular discussion.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
One other thing to check - though this may be a stretch - the bolts that hold the hubs to the suspension have a tendency to come loose (and even go missing). If that has happened, it could be the hub vibrating/wobbling and causing issues. Just check that the hub bolts (there are 3 each hub) are present and tight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It wasn't intended to be a fix, it was a step in troubleshooting. Are you saying that everything works corrctly when ESC is off?

I would expect you to still have some symptoms with braking, as the ABS is supposed to stay on even with ESC off, but while driving turning ESC off should make the car behave normally.

The ABS sensors are built into the hubs, so you will be replacing the whole thing. One good reason to look for a broken wire or loose connector. I haven't heard of any problems with the sensors themselves failing although it may be that i missed that particular discussion.
Oh, man! Yeah, I knew that was just a troubleshooting step - meant no offense.
But yeah, I think it comes down to me popping the wheels off and having a real good look at her and checking the codes when the OBD2 sensor reader comes in tomorrow.
The car hasn't been driven more than around the neighborhood with the ESC off for fear of doing more harm. Thank you for the response!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Soooo... I gave in to the powers of the dark side and took her to my mechanic.
I'm going to put exactly what is on my invoice below, but before I do I will say this:
1. I live in Florida, the not so sunshine state
2. My Solstice stays in a car port with her ass end out. Going forward this will not be the case.

Here's part one:

CHK ESC LT IS ON-FEEL ABNORMAL
Performed computer diagnostics found code(s): C0280
UNDOC code, C0196 YAW RATE CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION (5A), C0116 YAW RATE CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION (1A), C0460 STEERING POS SENSOR CALIBRATION NOT PROGRAMMED, C0196 YAW RATE CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION (00). Performed initial testing and found the issue is most likely in the yaw rate sensor circuit. Will require removal of the passenger seat to continue diagnostics.

Part two:

ADD'L DIAG TIME & YAW SENSOR R&R
Removed right seat to continue diagnostics, found the yaw rate sensor is sitting in water. Carpet and JUTE are wet. Performed testing, found that the yaw rate sensor has failed. Must replace the sensor, then recheck operation. Water damage may have caused other issues.

Yeah, so needless to say I went to town on it with the shop vac.
Hope this helps out other folks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts