Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we have beaten this ole nag to death, but a recent post on a factory rep. not allowed to show the top @ a show caused me to wonder this: Has there ever been another vehicle that anyone can think of that had a fundamental structure question unanswered (as far as we know) so close to its production date?

·
4,592 Posts
Chip said:
I know we have beaten this ole nag to death, but a recent post on a factory rep. not allowed to show the top @ a show caused me to wonder this: Has there ever been another vehicle that anyone can think of that had a fundamental structure question unanswered (as far as we know) so close to its production date?
How about the NC Miata? Or is this a different thing entirely?

what will be interesting about the NC is: it will be showcased in Geneva by months end or first of march, let's see what they show regarding top and trunk! They may show more just to bash the Sol, but I still feel a roadster ad wil never boast of it's top or trunk, it's just not what the marketing department wants to highlight!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess what struck me in the thread I am referring to is that GM was reported to have removed key hole or latch (not sure which) to the hatch over the top. This meant that the reps. could not open it even if they wanted to. That seems to be in response to the folks here and elsewhere getting shots of the "Hump" and lack of storage space. That's a pretty serious change in posture in my book. There is something going on here. I just wish I knew what!

·
4,592 Posts
the fact they removed those latches could be in repsonse to the ones who "may" have gotten in trouble opening the trunk at the Salt Lake City Auto Show, just a guess!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Yea I think someone got in trouble for letting the cat out of the bag or it's possible the show cars simply have a gerry-rigged trunk release that's not the real thing.

Agree Miata knows very little (way less then we do) about their car which won't be out that much later than Solstice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To be honest, there probably wasn't a top in the show car. The rep did mention that it got stuck open at a previous show and that it caused quite a stir. He blamed it on the fact that it wasn't a production vehicle and was build by hand... of course most concept cars are. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Chip said:
I guess what struck me in the thread I am referring to is that GM was reported to have removed key hole or latch (not sure which) to the hatch over the top. This meant that the reps. could not open it even if they wanted to. That seems to be in response to the folks here and elsewhere getting shots of the "Hump" and lack of storage space. That's a pretty serious change in posture in my book. There is something going on here. I just wish I knew what!
I think what they were refering to was actually the AFBTS's anchor holes were covered up. Because theNitza said "I looked, and sure enough, the middle of the silver disks were gone on the trunk." Those very much sound like the anchor points on the car. Which we've seen several show cars that are pre-production models with covered over silver anchor points. These are not the trunk latches, that is a pull cord in the compartment between the seats.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I still think that what we have seen was never intended for production. Bob Lutz put his word on the line when he flat out told the press that "what you see is what you get". Since they aren't "finished" with the trunk, we're not supposed to see it as per Lutz's word. Not proveable either way, but as I've said in other threads, the fiero had it's trunk redesigned in less time. The one piece of supporting evidence is the latch pictured in our trunk spy shots. It looked VERY jury-rigged. Coupled with the ridiculous location of the tank, we have a very good arguement for a redesign commandment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I circled the disks I was talking about... I just wanted to make sure we're all on the same page.

It was the best picture I could find real fast, but you can tell how theres a silver outline and then the silver middle; at the PIAS the middle was missing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Yes theNitza, those are the latch points for the "wings" that come off the back of the top to connect to.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
One thing I noticed when comparing the Sky and Solstice at the Houston show was that when you look down into the AFBTS's anchor holes on the Solstice, you saw a chrome piece of metal. On the Sky there was a black plastic plug. I was able to take Macro pictures of each just before my battery died. But the pictures don't reveal much other than one is a chrome volcano with black in the crater while the other is shiny throughout.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
DreamerDave said:
One thing I noticed when comparing the Sky and Solstice at the Houston show was that when you look down into the AFBTS's anchor holes on the Solstice, you saw a chrome piece of metal. On the Sky there was a black plastic plug. I was able to take Macro pictures of each just before my battery died. But the pictures don't reveal much other than one is a chrome volcano with black in the crater while the other is shiny throughout.
My guess would be that the Sky is still in "prototype" stage and thus doesn't have the production latch release system you can see in the Solstice. That's why you see shiny metal in the Solstice (production release system) and the black plastic plug (prototype fit / joint check part) in the Sky.

I'm not sure why this is the case though... if the Sky is a year behind in release, you'd think they would be part sharing at this point in the build stage. Doesn't sound like GM has their act together on prototype / mule vehicle builds, unless the Sky is using left over parts from the Solstice early builds.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
rlhammon said:
My guess would be that the Sky is still in "prototype" stage and thus doesn't have the production latch release system you can see in the Solstice. That's why you see shiny metal in the Solstice (production release system) and the black plastic plug (prototype fit / joint check part) in the Sky.

I'm not sure why this is the case though... if the Sky is a year behind in release, you'd think they would be part sharing at this point in the build stage. Doesn't sound like GM has their act together on prototype / mule vehicle builds, unless the Sky is using left over parts from the Solstice early builds.
They share the platform, including base drivetrain. Execution of the bodies and interiors is partially shared. Sky wants to wait till Sol has the top fixed before determining for sure where to attach.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The differentiation could be a number of things.

It could be that the Sky is closer to production than the Sol, depending on when the show cars were built. Its also possibly the Sky was not built with the mechanism in it because it too has no top, and they just put on some snap in anchor points to fit a non-production top to keep the cab weather tight when it is in transit to other shows.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Perhaps I should have added this question: When will we first see the Solstice with the top up? Which show, or pick a date. I say April, but it's just a blind guess. I hope they don't stick a tag in the cars of the early owners that reads: Customer Note: IOU 1 Top. Sorry!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
top pic

If you missed what little there was shown of temporary top in Motor Trend article, then

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
At first I thought the silver disks were flip up handles. Like hide away finger holds so you can easily open the trunk from either side. Not releases, just handles. But looking closer I saw that they are suspiciously in line with the rubber boots (that allow the top mechanism to pass by). I'm now in the AFBTS attachment point camp.

If they are anchor points, this brings up an ironic inconvenience. With the top up, you have more trunk space (presumably) but to get to it you have to release the anchors on BOTH sides of the car.

Also if these "AFBTS" things are pulled taught, putting the top up would most likely require top to be extended but not latched, AFBTS anchored 2x, then latched.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
chenslee said:
At first I thought the silver disks were flip up handles. Like hide away finger holds so you can easily open the trunk from either side. Not releases, just handles. But looking closer I saw that they are suspiciously in line with the rubber boots (that allow the top mechanism to pass by). I'm now in the AFBTS attachment point camp.

If they are anchor points, this brings up an ironic inconvenience. With the top up, you have more trunk space (presumably) but to get to it you have to release the anchors on BOTH sides of the car.

Also if these "AFBTS" things are pulled taught, putting the top up would most likely require top to be extended but not latched, AFBTS anchored 2x, then latched.
If you take a look in the Technical FAQ, I put the expected opening/closing sequence in one of the questions.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I guess I was asleep at the wheel when we were discussing AFBTF's and assumed they were the extra rubber thingees (engineering technical term, doohickey is one, thingamabob is not) at the confluence of windshield header, rollup window and roof. Obviously, or not obviously these are designed to fill some sort of huge gap? Comparing Sky and Solstice there is an awful lot more rubber around winshield than there needs to be on the Sol.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts