Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new wheels for one of my cars.
The winters have just destroyed one set of chrome wheels.

SO, I am looking at 156C SURGE Wheels ( more details on - https://www.carid.com/raceline-wheels/156c-surge-chrome-361327453.html )
as these look like stock.

But I discovered that the stock/OEM wheel has an offset of +55
while this wheel has an offset of +35.

I'm confused, and do not understand this 'offset' term.

What is the 'offset' really mean to me ?
What does +35 vs +55 mean to me ?

I really want a stock looking wheel at a reasonable price.

All the wheels that I previously liked ( 2007-2010 days ) are no longer made.

Please help me understand...
thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've spent hours trying to figure out fitment for aftermarket wheels.

I finally understand most of it. In Sirwm's case, his wheels would "stick out" a bit farther than the OEMs.

These websites might help in figuring out just what "offset" actually means:

https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator
https://www.willtheyfit.com/

BTW, pay close attention to the center hub size of new wheels. One may have to purchase "hubcentric rings" to make up the difference.

What I'm still having trouble with is "backspace." Does anyone know what the backspace is for our OEM wheels? And what that actually means when comparing other wheels?

:huh:

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Sirwm i just had a set of new rims from Carid put on my solstice & found Carid very helpful as to whether or not they would fit . I had to use hub center rings for the fit. I went with TWS Silverstone rims & have had no issue with the rims so far as they only stuck out slightly from the original wheels. I also applied ceramic pro to the rims & installed new tpms sensors .It was a real education for me in learning about the dynamics of the fit. Good luck with your selection.

·
Premium Member
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a pretty simple graphic that should explain it: ...
from that web site:

"When bolted up to your car this means that a lower offset wheel will stick out farther. If your car was originally equipped with a +50mm offset and you replace it with a +25mm wheel, the wheel will stick out approximately one inch farther. "

so........ if the wheel sticks out an inch, is that street legal ?

·
Registered
183 Posts
That link JohnWR posted helps explain backspace. I should have read it before posting my question about what is backspace.

Basically, the opposite of offset. When one moves, so does the other.

Still, anyone know what the backspace is on our OEMs?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thank you, DaveOC!

Now I can complete my notes on the OEMs: Factory Wheel = 18x8 5 lug 110 bolt pattern 55 mm offset 65.1 mm center hub 6.1" backspace.

:wink:

·
Super Moderator
5,802 Posts
............so........ if the wheel sticks out an inch, is that street legal ?
Street legal isn't really an issue in most places, but could be if you have an annual inspection. Interference between tire and bodywork could be an issue, though.

·
Premium Member
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so... I will have to add the 55mm offset requirement to my search for wheels...
( despite sites offering up other offsets... )

I do not want the wheels to hit the paint on the fenders....

·
Super Moderator
5,802 Posts
Fender interference could be an issue, but might not be. I haven't paid enough attention to know.
I know that people have run wider wheels and tires, so there has to be extra room somewhere.

You might be able to find posts about wider wheels and use whatever sizes have worked to determine what the tolerance is inboard and outboard.

·
Premium Member
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just to close this thread, I found a near-perfect set of OEM chrome wheels for sale on FB, so I bought them.
Total cost of $636 and they appeared in NJ.

I have to buy TPMS however.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
part number TPMS - oem # 20925924
nut to hold the sensors that did not come with the sensors - oem # 15234846.

( note that when I bought the TPMS, the nut was included. - best to double check... )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts