Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving home this Friday night in slow traffic on I-95 South. Just past the I-95 HOV merge, I started a gradual acceleration toward up to the speed limit when my 2007 GXP coughed, then started losing power. I managed to limp the next 15 miles home. Upon rolling into the garage, grabbed the code reader and found the infamous Low Fuel Rail Pressure code. Instead of the usual tick tick at idle, the pump and injectors were making this erratic-chattering noise. Uh, oh.. So after visiting some threads on this forum from 2011 about HPFP symptoms, it sure looked like my High Pressure Fuel Pump had bit the dust at 33,000 miles.

Saturday I stopped by the local Buick dealer in the hope they would have a pump in stock, since the Buick Regals use the same 2.0 liter engine as our Solstice'. The part wasn't in stock at the dealer, but they located one in Alexandria VA. Wow, what a heart-stopper price! $550! I'm picking it up tomorrow (Monday).

Today (Sunday), I started the process of removing the old pump. A couple things I discovered that were not listed in the GM shop manual, was in order to reach the pump cover bolts, you need to remove or relocate the plastic cover over the firewall/under the windshield. It took a few extra minutes to remove all the little screws and plastic fasteners plus the wiper arms, but wow, it made a huge difference is gaining access to the pump hardware, fuel lines, etc. I videotaped the whole removal process and will post the link to YouTube here, once I'm done with the installation part and completed editing the video, probably tomorrow night.

Removing the pump was pretty easy, but after doing so I observed raw gas and oil mix running out of the hole where the pump plunger goes into the head. It looks like whatever seals the gas in the pump from the mechanical plunger area failed, causing raw gas to spray into the cam area. Oh crap! (Censored because I actually said something else)

I pulled the dipstick to see if I smelled gas in the oil pan oil, or whether the oil level was higher than the full mark. Fortunately it looks like not too much gas ended up in the pan. Next I checked the pump roller plunger that rides on the cam pump lobe to see if there was damage or scoring. Other than being wet with a gas oil mix, it looked okay with the roller turned smoothly. I wiped out the plunger cylinder and plunger, re-lubricating it with new Mobil 1 5W-30.

So while inspecting the old pump, I noticed that this is a GM part made in Germany. There appears to be no serviceable parts on this pump. Hoping to find a manufacturer that I could contact to see if the pump could be rebuilt, there doesn't seem to be any chance of that being likely. At $550 a whack, it seems silly to keep one of these pumps around just in case, but it seems like this pump is clearly an expensive point of failure that will eventually need replacement. My concern is if one plans on keeping one of these cars around for a while, how long will GM stock this part? My guess is a couple more years, maybe.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Did you happen to snap any pics of what the assembly (dis-assembly) looks like? If memory serves, the service manual calls for a short piece of fuel pipe (not the entire fuel rail) to be replaced when replacing the HPFP. I think it has a one-time crush seal.

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
The pump has to be available for less than 550. Our dealer charged 576 including parts and labor. I'm guessing the pump was closer to $400. Did you check craft engine depot?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm pretty sure he meant Crate Engine Depot. And yes, they are awesome, great prices, great customer service, fair shipping, etc.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't take still photos of the work, but did make a video of the stages of removal and soon to be, installation. I will post the link on this thread when the work is done.

Regarding the price; No, I didn't check Crate Engine Depot for the part. What I did was a Google search for the pump. Unfortunately all of the locations within the search only listed the lift pump assembly in the fuel tank. Even Mr. Buick Parts Guy had trouble locating the part at first, because GM Parts calls it something other than just a High Pressure Fuel Pump, which I found strange because it's exactly what the GM service manual calls it. I asked the parts guy why this little pump was so crazy expensive. He thought that it was a matter of this pump being replaced by an upated design in the new DI engines that runs off the balancer shaft. As there are increasingly fewer of these pumps available, GM continues to mark up the price. That and since there is no aftermarket for the pump, it's simply supply and demand.

2KWK4U, yes as I understand it along with the new pump, they provide a new high pressure line that connects between the pump and the fuel rail. I'm picking up the part after 11AM today, so will update later with video.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I would think this would be a warranty item?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately my car is recently out of warranty (2007). It figures! The good news is after doing some serious digging, I found the part through GMPartsDirect.com for $357.79 (which includes their ridiculous $74 shipping and handling charge). So I'm going to the 'Stealership' with a printed version of the page from GMPD and tell them if they were willing to sell me the pump for a price close to what GMPD will sell it for, then I'll buy it. If not, then I'll wait for it to arrive from GMPD.

For future reference; note that the part number has changed from the original part. The PN on the original pump I removed was: 12589448. The new PN is: 12646884. That's one of the reasons I was having trouble finding the part through a number. How I determined the new number was via the parts diagram on the GMPD website. Also, Crate Engine Depot didn't stock the part. I only was able to find it on GMPD.

If you're planning on keeping your GXP, Sky Redline, or Cobalt for the long haul, I suggest buying one of these pumps, even if $350 while still available, then keep it in a safe place that you'll remember when you'll need it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I was thinking more of the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
728 Posts
I was thinking more of the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty?
That is still limited by the 5 year/100K.. the years got him (gets most of us)...:(

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay not much of an update, but wanted to pass along what the Buick 'Stealership' had to say when I showed the Parts Manager a copy of the quote for the HPFP from GMPartsDirect.com. His response: "Oh yeah, GMParts Direct sells parts at ridiculously low prices. I don't know how they do it." So then I asked if he'd meet me part way and come down to at least what GMPD had as the list price ($441). He said no, that in fact, the list price for the HPFP is $580! Needless to say, I walked having not paid for the pump from the 'stealerhip' in advance. So now I'm waiting for the new pump that I paid $350 for from GMPD. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
Did you call Crate engine depot and talk with them? They can get any GM part and have been outstanding in the past.

I did a simple search on the part number and found it at GM parts giant for

GM Part: PUMP,FUEL
Part NO.: 12646884

Genuine GM Parts backed by Manufacturers Warranty
Shipped quickly from Authorized GM Dealership
Lowest Price with Award Winning Customer Service Your Price: $344.59
GM's Retail Price: $556.78

With shipping to my zip

Subtotal: $346.96

Shipping: $38.83
Tax: $0.00

Total: $385.79

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
The "generic" AC Delco part is listed for Cobalt at $254.79 at Rock Auto.

ACDELCO Part # EP1029 More Info {#12629135, 12646884}
PUMP,FUEL

$254.79

One of the lessons learned from the waterpump failures is that there are multiple part numbers and prices for the same hardware. The Pontiac part is one price, the AC Delco "generic" part is less than half the price. For the same pump in a different box.

2008 CHEVROLET COBALT 2.0L L4 Turbocharged Fuel/Air : Fuel Pump Auto Parts

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
For general education

Here is a quote from a post by Small Dealer (may he rest in peace and we all miss him greatly)

The lesson learned by me was that there IS a big difference in price for the same part within the GM parts system. In this example, the GM OEM pump is TWICE the price of the generic part. $250 vrs $325 for the SAME PUMP.

Link:http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/waterpump-woes-58947/

"There are several variables that could account for the difference in what you and cunning paid for water pump replacement.

First off is the pump itself. The GM OEM pump is approximately twice the list price of a "All Lines"/generic AC Delco pump. Add the increase in Sales Taxes and any shop fees based on repair costs.

Second, would the use of coolant. None, drain/refill, recycled or virgin anti-freeze will all have a different effect on the parts, tax, and fees total.

Last would be the labor time guide used to calculate the repair time. Don't have access to one here at home, but would not surprise me if the labor time could approach or exceed 3 hours.

So $250-$325 parts, $270-$320 labor, and you can get a $700 repair. "

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
Now the bottom line

BEFORE YOU ORDER PARTS CHECK WITH TOM AT CRATE ENGINE DEPOT. CALL HIM ON THE PHONE AND TALK WITH HIM. HE WILL GET YOU THE LOWEST PRICE FOR ANY GM PART.

End of transmission.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you call Crate engine depot and talk with them? They can get any GM part and have been outstanding in the past.

I did a simple search on the part number and found it at GM parts giant for

GM Part: PUMP,FUEL
Part NO.: 12646884

Genuine GM Parts backed by Manufacturers Warranty
Shipped quickly from Authorized GM Dealership
Lowest Price with Award Winning Customer Service Your Price: $344.59
GM's Retail Price: $556.78

With shipping to my zip

Subtotal: $346.96

Shipping: $38.83
Tax: $0.00

Total: $385.79
I checked out the Crate Engine Depot site and they didn't list the HPFP. No, I didn't call Crate Engine though. Fortunately GMPD ended up selling me the pump for $353, shipped. The downside is my car sits taken apart a little longer than if I could have picked one up at the 'Stealership'. Once the part arrives, I'll grab the camera and finish up the video then post the link for those who are interested.

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
Sorry,
Crate engine depot is the parts operation for a dealership. They can and do get every part in the GM inventory. Halley Buick /GMC their CED website is focused on Crate mothers and hop up parts. If you call them, they will give you a great price on any part.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So let me see if I get this straight; you're a big fan of Crate Engine Depot? ;>)

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
So let me see if I get this straight; you're a big fan of Crate Engine Depot? ;>)
Yes
They are very competitive, usually beating the other on line stores and they have been an official sponsor of this forum for years.

But more important, I do not like to see people spend more than they need to spend.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts