Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am contemplating the Honda S2000 again.

I did a comparison with the Solstice, and they are very comparable. The only other one better would be the Z4, but I hate its shape.

Although it would be very hard to give up my dream of a Solstice, I just might.

What do you guys think of the S2000 ?

·
Registered
139 Posts
i think its a fun car at high rpms. not fun unless you are really winding it out. it can't compare to the shape of the solstice. the solstice even as a cheaper car will get many more looks. but it is significantly faster around a track. so what do you want out of your car?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, since you asked, here's my opinion:

-Overpriced

-Dated appearance...already looked like a Japanese copy of the Z3 when it came out and that was 4 years ago

-New model due out soon? I would think they would be replacing the model sometime in the near future since this one has been around a while...I am one of those that hates to buy at the end of the cycle when your car will already look a generation old as soon as the next one is released

-Underwhelming performance in everyday driving...unless you can wring it out all you have from those 240hp is bragging rights

Of course there is that supposed "legendary" Honda quality and reliability that so many people fall all over; my brother has an Acura 3.2TL and had an Accord before that, another friend has had three Acura Legends...all have had some issues and I think their superiority is overrated.

So, I guess I am biased, but I don't like the S2000. I think the Sol or even the new Miata would be a better choice than a S2000...not saying it's an awful car (please no offense to those that own it) but just not my cup of tea. JMHO

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what do I want out of a car?

well, I want a convertible, I dont want some big front on it, I wanna enjoy the look and how I look in it.

As for the comments about the S2000, I do agree with you. It does seem more outdated now than before when I liked it.

The thing is, I could buy the S2000 and be happy, but if I bought the Solstice, I would be extatic.

I do love everything about the Solstice, but one thing I would give it would be a power roof.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
For one, if you are considering cars in the price range of the S2000 or Z4 you have to keep in mind that you are going to paying close to 10k or more for these versus the cost of the Solstice. For me, the Solstice provides more afordable bang for the buck so to speak. Although both cars are impressive in there own right (although I personally liked the Z3 over the Z4) there are both priced beyond my limit. Primary deciding factor for me is that there is a Pontiac dealer across town. Closet Honda/BMW dealer - 45 miles.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm

well, although the price was a factor with the Solstice, the price of the Z4 is not out of my range.

I dunno

I dont really know what to do, remove myself from the wait list and move on, or see how it goes :crazy: :banghead:

·
Registered
766 Posts
I recommend considering a preowned certified Mercedes Benz SLK 320 3-4 years old. Since warranty is five years, you get balance of warrranty an can get extended warranty if you want. Price is somewhere between 26k- 30k.
Car has a classic sports look but to me is not dated. You get retractable hard top and v-6 power! 0-60 is about 5.5-6.0. You can lease fist w/ option to buy. This would have been my choice w/o Solstice option.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think you have to go with what you know you really want deep down in your gut, if you go with something else because of the long wait on the solstice, the first time you see one on the road your going to feel reeeeally bad about it :lol: I would agree that s2000's are getting outdated, I saw one the other day and just gave it a passing glance *shrugs* theres nothing you can do to stop a car from becoming old news, but the solstice is completely fresh, and should get envious looks for a while after they finally put them out, Im firmly behind getting one myself, I see other cars that catch my eye but I know Im going to love the Solstice, its the car for me. :yesnod:

·
Registered
139 Posts
you might even want to wait around and check out out the saturn sky. are you familiar with the sky? its based on the same platform as the solstice but will be more powerful and more luxorious.

·
Registered
409 Posts
godspeed06 said:
you might even want to wait around and check out out the saturn sky. are you familiar with the sky? its based on the same platform as the solstice but will be more powerful and more luxorious.
As of now the Sky features 170hp, where as the Solstice achieves 177hp. Same engine yes, so that could change closer to release.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
godspeed06 said:

oh yeah, I did see that, its very nice, I wasnt too keen on the camel colored interior but it looked pretty much the same.

I hope they dont do the same gimmick as solstice, I couldnt take this twice.

See my thing is were going to have a baby in just over a year (planning for it) and although we will keep three vehicles, I think that my time of pleasure driving just the two of us will be over. So the whole timing of the Solstice coming out was working perfectly, until yesterday that is lol

I dunno, Im really torn. Im at a time in my life right now where I can enjoy this kind of toy and it wont hurt my bank account at all. Later on with kids, I will most likely be singing a new tune.

I also liked the Miata, but it also seemed so dated, and "of the norm"

I guess the answer would be wait to see how the Solstice goes after a few weeks and judge from that.

To everyone that has answered, thanks a lot for your help. I have never known much about cars except for things like replacing my own brakes, oil, plugs etc. Kinda wish I knew more.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
IMO, the Honda S2000 is a heck of a roadster, and is definately worth consideration. Even if you just buy it to drive a couple years while the Solstice demand is high, it might be worth it. Essentially, it would be a hold-me-over.

The S2000 has been on the market, so its styling is not as fresh. It also likes to be revved, and not everyone likes those types of engines as much. However, its also a rush as the motor revs up through its powerband, and the newer cars have a better torque curve.

My advise... drive one! Styling can be powerful in deciding on a car, but after driving the S2000 you may find that you have fallen in love with the driving experience of the car too.

At least you owe it to yourself to consider it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Imho

I agree that for the $ the Solstice looks like an excellent buy over the Honda.

But, at the other end, if I was considering the Honda seriously, or the BMW Z4 (SERIOUSLY OVERPRICED), I would stretch and still go back to the car I tried to buy at release. . . The 350Z Sport! For the extra $ I think it is the best on the street!

But at 1/2 the price the Solstice got my $ today!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Man, this is a problem?
You come on a GM Solstice forum and say you want to buy a Honda?
But I AM a car guy so I wont be a jerk.
The car you speak of ( Honda S2000 ) IS NOT A DAILY DRIVER. It is a Toy for people that already have a car. So if you already have a car and dont mind drving at 60MPH with a HUGE 60HP then go for it. But if (like has been said before) you like to wind it up to 7,000+RPM on a regular bassis (ALL THE TIME) then go for the S2000.
My opinion is that the S2000 is a good sports car and NOT a good daily driver.
It is just braging rights for people that need to show off. ( and has been said before the thing NEEDS to be reved HIGH to show off ) In town the thing SUCKS.
But its your call, your money.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rickady88GT said:
Man, this is a problem?
You come on a GM Solstice forum and say you want to buy a Honda?
But I AM a car guy so I wont be a jerk.
The car you speak of ( Honda S2000 ) IS NOT A DAILY DRIVER. It is a Toy for people that already have a car. So if you already have a car and dont mind drving at 60MPH with a HUGE 60HP then go for it. But if (like has been said before) you like to wind it up to 7,000+RPM on a regular bassis (ALL THE TIME) then go for the S2000.
My opinion is that the S2000 is a good sports car and NOT a good daily driver.
It is just braging rights for people that need to show off. ( and has been said before the thing NEEDS to be reved HIGH to show off ) In town the thing SUCKS.
But its your call, your money.

lol

Well thanks for the info. What exactly do you guys mean by reved? The idle is not good?

As for the being on this site, I was here because of the Solstice, which you would see in my previous posts. But who better to ask what my next best choice should be than a bunch of other people in the same frame of mind and boat as me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The s2000 is a fun car. And you'll pay for it...

For the price (and the look), Solstice wins for me hands down. The possibility of GM Performance F/I down the road pretty much ices it for me.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
sebgib said:
lol

Well thanks for the info. What exactly do you guys mean by reved? The idle is not good?

As for the being on this site, I was here because of the Solstice, which you would see in my previous posts. But who better to ask what my next best choice should be than a bunch of other people in the same frame of mind and boat as me.
By Reved. we meen keeping the RPM's high. The Honda S2000 has a motor that makes its peak horsepower very high in the RPM range. I think the earlier S2000's had a 9000 RPM redline, and the last year or two it came down a little with a displacement bump on the engine. That also got the car some more torque down low.

However, if you want to be in the peak part of its power band, you have to really let the engine wind to a high RPM.

Some people love this car and engine, and others are not as enamored with it. You definately want to drive it before deciding if you like an engine with these power characteristics.

I am surprised Wing hasn't gotten in some comments yet. He owns an S2000 and loves it! You may want to send him a PM to get his perspective on it too!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
sebgib said:
lol

By revved, I think the meaning is that the Honda engine, like theHO Vibe GT engine produce max power and torwue at much higher rpms than a lot of other cars. This means that in certain driving situations the Honda and opthers like it will not easily take off without having high rpms. This I know from driving the Vibe GT. If you don't rev to over 4000 rpm to start out in 1st you might stall and if you drop below 3-4k during shifts you may also stall or feel like you missed a shift.. Drive an s2k aggressively at all times if that is your choice. Not a good commuter or slow cruiser. OTH if the Sol performs like its cousins within GM with similar setups you will be able to pull away from a stop light at 2000 rpm it you want to.

If the S2k and Z4 are within your price range then two cars you really need to consider are the Audi TT Roadster and the Porsche Boxter, even a one year old.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm jumping in late

achieftain said:
By revved, I think the meaning is that the Honda engine, like theHO Vibe GT engine produce max power and torwue at much higher rpms than a lot of other cars. This means that in certain driving situations the Honda and opthers like it will not easily take off without having high rpms. This I know from driving the Vibe GT. If you don't rev to over 4000 rpm to start out in 1st you might stall and if you drop below 3-4k during shifts you may also stall or feel like you missed a shift.. Drive an s2k aggressively at all times if that is your choice. Not a good commuter or slow cruiser. OTH if the Sol performs like its cousins within GM with similar setups you will be able to pull away from a stop light at 2000 rpm it you want to.

If the S2k and Z4 are within your price range then two cars you really need to consider are the Audi TT Roadster and the Porsche Boxter, even a one year old.
I just looked at our inventory, to get a feel at what you guys are looking at. I know what the cars look like, just not the prices. If your looking for a hold-me-over, it seems like a 01-02 Z3 series 3.0 might work, budget wise. I checked one on our BMW lot, 2001 BMW Z3-Series 2dr Roadster 3.0Lw/ 25k miles, asking $28, but looks like it can be had for under $25 from a private seller, maybe even low-20's. And should hold resale at same rate as S2000 or Boxter. I like the feel a little better than a TT, but the Audi is very nice. I only get to drive them, I don't get to sell them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
achieftain said:

hmmm

all of this I did not know. thanks guys

I did also love the Audi TT, but here in Cali, too many people have them. Although I can afford a Boxter, I am dead set against spending that much money on a car.

I got back a quote for the S2000 brand new with the options I wanted for $30,988, whats that sound like to you guys?

Also, getting this doesnt mean giving up on the Solstice, I can always trade the car in when the Solstice comes out, which seems I may have at least a year for that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts