Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quick story...I am from the Delaware, Maryland corner of our county. I living in Atlanta now and came home for a visit. Well my wife had me shopping yesterday near Prices Corner on Kirkwood Hiway. That is about 5 minutes form the birth place of your beloved Solstice. So you know I had to take a ride over to Boxwood Road. When I was going pass the first parking lot I spotted one....there in living color was a silver Sol, I could not believe my eyes. I turn around and head for the Sol of my dreams (cool with ebony).
My wife and I get out and start taking pics, well she started taken pics, I just drooled...After a few minutes of picture taking a gentleman pulls up and we start talking to him. He would not give any info. We told him I was 1 of 1k and he became more interested. I was looking at a test mule and did I know about the lady from the south that got pass the fence. I told him yes I did. I ask him about production for us and all he would answer is that we are down this week but will be back next week :) Forgot to say the pics are 35mm.
That was tuesday, today after around of golf with my friends (Middletown, De) I could not resist the urge to take a ride to the plant again. I am traveling north on 141 to Boxwood Rd and at the intersection coming from the south is, you guessed it, two not one but two Solstice comingback home after a ride, one was white and the other was red. I pulled over to the shoulder of the road and watched both of them pass me and make the left turn into the plant, both pulled up to the gate, went thru and back to the back of the plant. That got me thinking. I wonder if I can see anything from the side road that runs all the way to the back of the plant. So away I go, down that side road pass the storage site on the right and off to the left what do I see...So many Solstice I have no idea how many was there, white ones, black ones, red ones, silver ones, sly ones did not see green or blue but I'm not sure they were not there. There was one coming out of the building, one crossing in front of it. I tell you I got dizzy, I didn't know where to look next. AAll of the cars were lined up just waiting there. The camera I have is just alittle cheap one and I can do get any digital pics Put I know there are a couple of locals on this board who could get us some good pics.
Maybe Audio, are you out there, if you are send me a pm, anybody.....

Two guestions..why are these cars back there and was the gentleman from the first day implying production is to begin on 7/11?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Being from Delaware...

Having lived in Pike Creek, I know exactly where you were...you've got to add more here...how did they look on the street? Where are the pics???

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looked very good

The two cars that passed me looked ready for production. But remember it was very quick. You can not believe how good they look in motion.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
64GTO said:
was the gentleman from the first day implying production is to begin on 7/11?
That appears to be the plan. It's not official yet, but the EOP rep I spoke to when I got my call last week told me that they hope to start production on July 11. A couple of other people were told the same thing. Nothing we can count on yet, but it's looking good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pma

Back in the parking lot near the railroad, you can not see them from Boxwood Road. Think that might be on purpose? You have to use the road on the side of the plant (can't think of the name of the street).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Very cool find! All the Sol's on plant grounds are most likely pre-production, or more likely at this stage "saleable build" cars. What that means is that they are built to production car specs using production car parts, but will not actually be sold as new cars. They are for practice running the line, testing for manufacturing deficiencies, refining build quality and procedures, etc.

It could be July 11, but I was under the impression the shut down was for 2
weeks, which would make the first Monday back, July 18.

·
Registered
542 Posts
pma

I am dying to see one on the road. I currently live in N. Virginia and I here there is a solstice in Fairfax County, a red one. Unfortunately, I have not come across it but would die to see that in my rear view mirror.

Please post pics! lots of em...

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Awesome! I want to go to Delaware! Never thought I'd say that.

More importantly, make sure you get a Picture CD of your pics when you get them developed. That way you don't have to scan. :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
stang.. .. . . . . .new avatar. ... . . . .agressive. .. . . ... . . . *jizz* .. . omg. . . .. .*pass out*

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

There must be 75 to 100 cars back there. Would they be building that many?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wow! Great post 64GTO. I log on every day for a quick scan for news, and this one rejuvenated me. Can't wait for the pics you and/or Audio Imagez are able to post. Not to be morose, but ever since April 15 I've had this lurking fear that something really bad would happen either to the whole Solstice launch, or to me (plane crash or some terminal disease) before I take possession of my car, but it feels like this thing might actually happen!

·
Registered
305 Posts
240ZRX7MiataSol said:
Wow! Great post 64GTO. I log on every day for a quick scan for news, and this one rejuvenated me. Can't wait for the pics you and/or Audio Imagez are able to post. Not to be morose, but ever since April 15 I've had this lurking fear that something really bad would happen either to the whole Solstice launch, or to me (plane crash or some terminal disease) before I take possession of my car, but it feels like this thing might actually happen!
Don't worry it is like that new car scratch feeling, we all get it when you get a new car.

After selling my wife's car to get the Solstice I gave her my 03 Accord
coupe, within 2 weeks someone key'd the accord's hood at her work ($500 damage, bastards!!!!).

As she said "you had the car for 2 years and nothing happened, I have it for 2 weeks and boom!!!"

So the accord got repainted and is back in pristeen condition, made me nuts.

But now she should be good, she had her new car scratch.

So don't worry the cars are coming I feel it now. :agree:

Later!

First 1000, Sly, loaded!!!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
I live in Ohio and my brother told me he saw a Sky come through town on 7/1. He got kinda upset when I doubted it but he said it said Saturn on the back. Maybe someone was taking the senic route to Mich.

This is great news I hope they were our cars!!! I am tempted to go to Deleware on Monday for a look of my own.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Sweet, 64GTO! Thanks! :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
64GTO said:
Hi everyone, sorry for the delay...here is a couple of pics I was able to get. Enjoy!
It's like a little Solstice party going on in there. :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
SO, what will happen to all of the cars that are not "saleable"?
How can I get my hands on one or two for ME to do "tests" on?

Really I am serious, I want to do some transplanting of "components" and such.
I dont even care if they can never be street legal, they wont be put back on the road. I just want to "alter" a few things for "fun". I dont want to cut up a brand new car to experament on? But I will if I have to ;)
Are they all bound for the CRUSHER? :devil: Or are they going to be offered to the GM staff as "insentive" or "gifts"? Will they go to "race teams" to rip Mazda a new one? Man It would be a HUGE waste to melt them all down :(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts