Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We seem to have the basic car priced, but what of it's higher powered mate? Do you think Pontiac will heap a lot of non-performance junk on the car just to run up the price? I sure hope not, but I can see it happening.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
26.5-27.5 was my guess. lower than that would be great, but probably not realistic (since you can't touch that performance in anything else for less than 31).

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Agree with Solsticeman..Standard's $20,000 undercuts proclaimed market adversary (Miata) by $5000...S/C version is after the BMW, S2000 and 350Z crowd and their paying over $32,000... With that in mind, I can also see them packageing it in with leather seats, lined roof, electric windows, up-grade sound system, etc, etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
To add a s/c to an otherwise base $20k Solstice it would have to be $25k or less. I just don't see any possible way they could get away with a 30% or more price increase ($26k or higher) for a s/c engine. If the s/c version comes with additional features and upgrades, then maybe...

Does anyone have any info on the price difference between the Cobalt SS and the Cobalt SS Supercharger? Or maybe the ION vs. Supercharged ION $$ differences? This should give a fairly good guestimate on the N/A vs. S/C Solstice differences.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The Mazda Speed Miata is priced at $26,020, and comes with the blown engine, lsd, leather, six-speed as well as a host of other up grades. Given the General has targeted the base solstice price lower than the base miata, you would think they would want the s/c solstice to be price competitive with the Mazda Speed version. I'm thinking $25k well equipped. However if the base models move well in the first year of sales maybe they'll get more ambitious with the pricing, although I hope not.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Folks,

Got a chance to test-drive a Mazdaspeed Miata. I personally was not very impressed.

The torque range of the motor seemed to be very peaky, driving around town was decent, compared to a non-turbo (Hmm, Mazda decided to make their +hp engine turbo...). Real torque just doesn't feel "there" until about 4000 RPM, then bang - you're at redline and need to upshift.

If you're already there (around 3800 RPM) and punch it, turbo lag is very minimal to non-existent.

As far as 0-60, *yawn*. If I paid the 26K for this and this is all I get, I'd be pissed. The salesperson wasn't happy with the comment I made about this not being impressive as I thought given the buzz - then went into overdrive 'defend and sell' mode. He went into this thing about how it has 178 horsepower and I said "less than 40 hp for a turbo? No thanks!".

If this car is much lower than 7 seconds 0-60 I'd be shocked. It just doesn't have the *POW* (once you're up in the Revs) that the S2000 does.

Other than that, sticky rubber, decent grip, tiny and tossable as always.

So, I was looking at the potential for the solstice, and the *-charged motor. If the blue-square guys can add 70 hp (170+70=240), it would blow the Mazdaspeed miata to bits and definitely be in the S2000 territory.

Guess I stand by my original thoughts - build in $32,000 performance and sell it for $27,500 (undercut your competition by about 4500)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I'd say it will be anywhere between $25K and $27.5K, to keep it competitive with the Mazdaspeed Miata's pricing, even though it will blow away that car. Also remember, there will be a new Miata out in the next year or two that the Solstice will really have to compete with, and I don't think Mazda will hold the line on its power outputs. I wouldn't be surprised if it got the new 2.3L motor out of the Mazda3 and Focus as a base, and a turbo version for the Mazdaspeed. Also there are rumors of using a rotary in a Miata, but I think it would cost too much for that car to keep pricing down.

Solsticeman, I haven't been too impressed with the MS Miata either. They didn't get very aggressive with the Turbo. A less than 40 HP bump with a blown motor is not impressive, although with tuning and maybe some upgrades there has to be more there. That said, at $26K it may still be a decent bargain for a Miata. Their previous limited edition and LS models had been selling for $26K+ the last few years, and although they also included an LSD and 6 speed, the motor was the same. So at least you are getting some more power with the turbo for the same money. Still, I would have expected 200HP+ out of this car. It is disappointing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd rather have a turbo than a supercharger. If the internals are up to it, the hp on the mazda can be pushed WAY up without much difficulty. Same is true for the supercharger of course, but it just SEEMS easier to bump up a turbo. Maybe it's because I've had a turbo car that I modified, but never owned a S/C?

·
Registered
533 Posts
What model year?

What is the best guess as to the model year of the rumored optional engine? Any chance that GM would suprise everyone by coming out with it during the first production year?

PS: This is my first post. Owned 3 Pontiacs previously but now have an all Japanese fleet in the household. The Solstice could bring me back to Pontiac depending on how it turns out.

·
Registered
182 Posts
looking at the base of the grand prix wich is about 23 and the supercharged version costs 27 for a difference of 4 grand. i would guess that the solstice would follow suit so i would expect a price of around 24 for the blown version.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Brian said:
looking at the base of the grand prix wich is about 23 and the supercharged version costs 27 for a difference of 4 grand. i would guess that the solstice would follow suit so i would expect a price of around 24 for the blown version.
Sounds reasonable. And from the Pontiac site:
Grand Prix GTP Adds:
• Supercharged 3800 Series III V6 engine with Electronic Throttle Control
• Full-Function Traction Control System
• 17" wheels with touring tires
• Driver-seat 4 way power lumbar control
• One-year OnStar Safe & Sound Service Plan***

For around $4k. I'd expect the Solstice to be similar.

I tried to find a price for the Eaton M62 supercharger used on the 2.0 S/C ecotec, but couldn't find it. I DID find a price for the GM (appears to be an Eaton) S/C for a 2000-2002 cavalier. It was around $2,200 from Pace.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts