Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a current owner of an 04 GTO and this is my fourth new GTO starting in 1965. My Grand father started his Pontiac Dealership in 1928 and it is now in the third generation of ownership. But before this 04, I had a 99 Miata. I've been kicking around the idea of a new Solstice but knew I would miss the power.
Okay, now to the meat of my topic. I was at a huge Corvette show yesterday, 500 Vettes. The Dealership belongs to a friend of mine and I always help him park cars. One of the guys there with a display was Chuck Mallett. You can see his site at www.mallettcars.com . After the show was over I was talking to him and he said he was starting to work with Pontiac. That got my attention real quick. I ask him if this had anything to do with the Solstice. He said yes that he had put a LS2 in one and that he was planning on doing conversions with a total cost of around $35,000. Chuck does alot of research and development for GM, so I guess he would not be BSing me! Lets see, 400 HP= stock LS2 in a 2800 lb car, that ought of work!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Interesting idea since they said a V8 wouldn't fit. I guess someone can always cram one in there. But 35K plus the price of the car seems like more money then it would be worth. The weight of the V8 would probably throw off the handling a little too.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
WOW! Great News! :party: Any idea about when he might have cars available. Have been dreaming about a Monster Miata for decades and to own an LS2 Solstice would be too cool, especially from a company as reputable as Mallett Racing!!! I'm sending them an email asking if and when I can buy one as soon as I post this. If the reply is good, I'll be canceling my order at the Pontiac dealer. I AM STOKED!!! :cheers: :D :yesnod: I'll keep you all informed on this as I find out more info on my next car!! :willy: :cool:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
By "total cost of around $35,000" is he referring to just his upgrades, or is that the complete car?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aawil said:
Interesting idea since they said a V8 wouldn't fit. I guess someone can always cram one in there. But 35K plus the price of the car seems like more money then it would be worth. The weight of the V8 would probably throw off the handling a little too.
It was my understanding that the $35,000 would include the price of the car. But if he is doing the suspension and brakes and other stuff that is usually done, then it probably isn't the case. We will need to get more info on this subject, but the fact is that he says that he has already put an LS2 in one!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
4th gto said:
It was my understanding that the $35,000 would include the price of the car. But if he is doing the suspension and brakes and other stuff that is usually done, then it probably isn't the case. We will need to get more info on this subject, but the fact is that he says that he has already put an LS2 in one!
Was the layout front engine with a rear-mounted transaxle as it is in the C5/C6? I don't think there's any way the Aisin will handle the torque output from an LS2. I guess he could be using the running gear from a GTO just as easily. Did he mention how it is laid out?

Man! It's times like this I wish we had a live chat capability!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2KWK4U said:
Was the layout front engine with a rear-mounted transaxle as it is in the C5/C6? I don't think there's any way the Aisin will handle the torque output from an LS2. I guess he could be using the running gear from a GTO just as easily. Did he mention how it is laid out?
No he didn't, only thing I know for sure is that he put an LS2 in one and that he plans on marketing thru select Pontiac Dealers!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Might even be able to "DIY" a conversion

From Mallett's own Tech FAQ:

Q: Can I buy just certain conversion components from Mallett Cars (such as exhaust or an engine)?
A: Yes. With the demand for our conversions being so high, and with so many customers asking if they can just by certain parts, we have decided to offer many of the components that go into our Corvette, Cadillac CTS-V, and GM SUV conversions as stand-alone items. Whether you need a set of brake pads or an entire engine, Mallett Cars, LTD. can provide the parts you need to fit your budget.

Because we are the leading innovator of high performance Corvette, Cadillac and GM truck/SUV components, we only sell those items we have personally developed and tested. A considerable amount of time and money has been spent on the refinement of every component we offer, and they are all engineered to work perfectly with the vehicle platforms mentioned above. Our parts are also fully compatible with each other, so you can build your vehicle as time and your budget allow.

·
Registered
78 Posts
2KWK4U said:
I agree that with an LS2 there will need to be a transmission. I previous considered doing a v8 swap for my s10 (there is a forum on the subject). If a T56 is used (not even sure it will fit) the shifter will be further back. Could be ackward. We need a spell check here. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
The T56 was designed to have several different possible shifter locations. (I investigated it for my '66 Malibu.) There's an aftermarket company, name starts with a "K", that sells them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Engine cost

2KWK4U said:
By "total cost of around $35,000" is he referring to just his upgrades, or is that the complete car?
GM Depot sells a new LS2 crate motor for $5900, so $35000 for a complete car with engine and transmission replacement sounds right.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Got a response from Mallett

I sent Mallett an e-mail over the weekend, and got the following reply this morning!
-----------------------

Chuck Mallett said:
Hello Scott,

Yes, we are working on a conversion!!
I will keep every buddy informed.
Your e mail will be added to my Solstice data base.

Thank you,

Chuck Mallett

"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 08:50:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Fwd: Solstice Rumors
To: [email protected]

Note: forwarded message attached.

> ATTACHMENT part 2 message/rfc822
To:
Subject: Solstice Rumors
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 09:21:43 -0400

Heard through the grapevine that you might have a Pontiac Solstice/LS2 conversion project in the works. Can I get more information if there's any truth to this?

Thanks in advance,

Scott
To me, this is BIG NEWS! Hopefully, with Mallett on board, there will be other aftermarket support from the onset as well. Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for Mallett... but competition in the aftermarket will be good for us all!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had actually heard from the engineers that an LS2 WOULD fit and that they even did it to one of the cars.

god that would be insane.
does anyone here rememeber how insance the monster miata's were?

but what the hell to call these doom machine.

not "sol" cause thats a del sol thing, not eclipse cause umm duh

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
How about "sledge" or "sledgehammer"?

·
Registered
275 Posts
im buying the sky when it comes out.... i imagine he would also be willing to do an ls2 conversion with the sky? i'd pay $40k for it!

out of curiosity/ignorance... the new 7.0L v8 thats in the new vettes, would that be the one he would use for the swap, or would it be the old 5.7L ones?

·
Registered
180 Posts
swatthefly said:
im buying the sky when it comes out.... i imagine he would also be willing to do an ls2 conversion with the sky? i'd pay $40k for it!

out of curiosity/ignorance... the new 7.0L v8 thats in the new vettes, would that be the one he would use for the swap, or would it be the old 5.7L ones?
the LS2 is the 6.0 Liter motor used in the current Normal Vette.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
swatthefly said:
but the '06 Z06 has the 7.0L makes sense i guess. does the z06 get the "LS6" badge? or am i that far off?
LS6 was the engine in the previous C5 Z06. The new C6 Z06 gets the LS7 engine.

The normla C5 had the LS1 enigne, and the new C6 has the LS2.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts