Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
..mudflaps especially on the rear wheel wells to keep the dirt off especially if you get black or another dark color not to mention rocks and road debries that might fly up and scratch the fender. That would be the first thing I would put on this car before I left the dealer. Look at how the tire sticks out past he the rear fender. Don't leave the dealer without them. There's nothing worse than getting a new car and the first day it gets scratched. Just think how sick you would feel. :cryin:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
summersolstice said:
..mudflaps especially on the rear wheel wells to keep the dirt off especially if you get black or another dark color not to mention rocks and road debries that might fly up and scratch the fender. That would be the first thing I would put on this car before I left the dealer. Look at how the tire sticks out past he the rear fender. Don't leave the dealer without them. There's nothing worse than getting a new car and the first day it gets scratched. Just think how sick you would feel. :cryin:

Its either that or pay to have my 300 foot gravel drive blacktopped! :willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
summersolstice said:
..mudflaps especially on the rear wheel wells to keep the dirt off especially if you get black or another dark color not to mention rocks and road debries that might fly up and scratch the fender. That would be the first thing I would put on this car before I left the dealer. Look at how the tire sticks out past he the rear fender. Don't leave the dealer without them. There's nothing worse than getting a new car and the first day it gets scratched. Just think how sick you would feel. :cryin:
Any ideas on how the flaps would mount? I assume they would attach in the wheel well to one of the molding screws or something like that. Would they affect the overall lines of the car for better or worse?...hard to imagine how they would look from looking at the autoshow pics.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Not for me thanks. Rear overhang is very short and flaps don't go well with sports cars
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Maybe we cold use some 3M Stoneguard. It would still get dirty, but it protect against scratches.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
I'm interested in both the 3M clear guard and the mud guards as MarkZ showed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
I'm thinking about the 3M bra for the front. That's going to take a beating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Has anyone heard if/where any items like this might be available from? I plan to ask my dealer, however, if there are other companies out there...I would want to know as soon as possible....certainly prior to delivery of my Dark Blue Sol.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
dlent said:
Has anyone heard if/where any items like this might be available from? I plan to ask my dealer, however, if there are other companies out there...I would want to know as soon as possible....certainly prior to delivery of my Dark Blue Sol.
GM might make mud guards available as GM Accessories if they make them. However the 3M type designs would requires someone having a car to work with, and designing templates to use to cut out the film and then market them. I've thought about looking into making them myself to offer for sale depending on how much it costs and how dificult it is.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Stone guards might look fine. These days, you can generally get molded to fit stone guards that can also be painted the color of the body. That certainly helps them blend in. On a car like this, they wouldn't have to hang down far either which would also help them blend in. The Miata has some small, subtle stone guards available, and I think they look fine on the car.

That said, not having any protection wil eventually scratch the finish (or more accurate, sand blast it away) but even then it won't be so bad. My Fiero has 115K miles, and except for a small spot behind the front wheels and back wheels, maybe a square inch in size, there is very little visible damage. However, in that square inch area, the paint has been sandblasted away so much its about down to the primer. I notice it in waxing, but you'd never know it unless you got on the ground and lookes closely for it.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,600 Posts
I think I'll take my lumps. The car will still be a blast to drive, scratches and all. And will still look gorgeous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
MarkZ said:
Mine do...


Now that design would look good on the Sol. Also there are smaller ones that screw into the wheel well and are pretty unobtrusive looking and just big enough to deflect any rocks that might chip the paint. Either way it will look a lot better than paint chips and/or scratches. I would rather put those on than put on 3m plastic and cheapin the look of the car. That reminds of the days when people would put on plastic seat covers. Hot, sticky and oh so ugly. I'm GM or someone on the after market will offer them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
summersolstice said:
Now that design would look good on the Sol.
Agreed.

I don't understand why splash guards are not offered on this car from the factory. I only got splash guards on the Z because it is a factory installed option and they are body colored. I would never buy after-market splash guards.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
summersolstice said:
Now that design would look good on the Sol. Also there are smaller ones that screw into the wheel well and are pretty unobtrusive looking and just big enough to deflect any rocks that might chip the paint. Either way it will look a lot better than paint chips and/or scratches. I would rather put those on than put on 3m plastic and cheapin the look of the car. That reminds of the days when people would put on plastic seat covers. Hot, sticky and oh so ugly. I'm GM or someone on the after market will offer them.
If applied correctly it is very hard to see the 3M clear adhesive. It usually takes getting within 5 or more feet to make out that it's even there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
brentil said:
If applied correctly it is very hard to see the 3M clear adhesive. It usually takes getting within 5 or more feet to make out that it's even there.
i was kinda tossing up the idea of getting those... where do you find them and how much are they?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The clear adhesive is not cheap and then yuo will have to find a professional to instal it but before you can do that you'll have to wait until someone comes up with a template so it fits exactly to the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
summersolstice said:
The clear adhesive is not cheap and then yuo will have to find a professional to instal it but before you can do that you'll have to wait until someone comes up with a template so it fits exactly to the car.
:agree:
Also, have the installer show you other jobs he has done. Just because a shop is dealer, it doesn’t mean they know what they are doing.

I’ve read of some real horror stories on my Z forum. So called “professional installers” not knowing what they were doing.

Since the Solstice is a new model, I wouldn’t want my car to be the one the installer uses to get his experience.

Frankly, I’m not a fan of clear-adhesive bras anyway. Just enjoy your car. What are you saving the nose for? Resale value? Unless you live on a gravel road, I just don’t see it. All cars have road dings. But hey, that’s just me, YMMV!
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top