Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's a sunny breezy Saturday with temps in the upper 60s so I need to need my Zaino applied before the weather turns. I did a Z-7 wash yesterday because the car was just filthy, but I'll be starting with a Dawn wash in a few minutes. Then I'll attack with the clay and then the real fun begins. I'll try to take some step by step pics throughout the day.

Oh, if you're looking for towels and have read the info on the Zaino site about getting towels, I'm trying to follow that. They suggest 100% cotton made in the USA towels, washing & double-rinsing before the first use and trimming all the borders and any decorative stitching sections away. They mentioned paying 10 - 20 bucks a towels at those Bed & Linens & Bath & Things & Beyond type stores. I went to Kohls today and after looking at about 6 different sections of white bath towels (almost all were made in Turkey) I found some 100% Egyptian cotton bath towels that were made in the USA for $9.99, but were on clearance for 60% of. At $4 a pop, I should have bought more than the 4 I did. Oh well. Anyways, not sure if this was a local thing or if you might find the same deal at a Kohls near you. Worth a try.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I did my Zaino thing already....dawn....claybar...don't forget to clarbar the windshield and silver trim...i didn't do that...wish i did....washed with Z-7....put on Z2...didn't bother with Z5 because I didn't have any scratches....did the Z6...repeated Z2 and Z6 for a total of 3 coats...did the grand finally (z8 I think is the name)....did the tire shine stuff...oh...i did the Z2 on the polished alluminum wheels...didn't do the z6 between coats though....looks great...deep....keep a small towel in the car for finger prints....also, don't forget the painted intererior section between the two seats... i didn't do that either...next time.... the towels...eek...i did the same... after you trim off the edges, wash then dry...your lint filter in your dryer will get filled quickly with cotton! also, when you take them out of the washer, they will all tie together...expect to lose about 5-8% of the towel during each wash/dry... good luck!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While I'm waiting for towels to dry...

Yeah I figured I would give them their first wash and dry before I hacked them up because of this. I don't think their is any way around it.

The Zaino site states the some Micro-Fiber stuff is great and some is crap, but of course doesn't give brand names. I love using that stuff, but don't want to damage the sol. It wouldn't fall apart like a towel either.

I was at AutoZone yesterday and they had an entire Meguiar's line of detailing products (of course it wasn't anywhere near the other detailing stuff, WTF?) and their stuff looked real nice. I wish an authority would green light some brands that were good. I know the Zaino site said that the brands weren't always good or bad, it was their QC that sucked so Brand X may produce a good batch and a crap batch. Hmmm. There's got to be SOMEBODY out there that makes reliably good MF products.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dawn'd. ClayBar'd. Washed. Dried. I forgot how much fun it is to give a new car that sweet, sweet lovin' it deserves.

Wow. I'll never wax a car without first using clay again. That is amazing! You get the hang of it real quick and the results are so smooth. I can't believe I've never really heard a lot about clay, but then again I would bet most people (general public) never even wax their cars.

Time for a diet pepsi / Notre Dame break while all the lights & mirrors finish their dripping and the car gets fully dry, then bring on the Z-2...

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Did you buy piece meal or one of the kits?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Critterman said:
Did you buy piece meal or one of the kits?
The cheaper of the 2 kits.

I'll use everything but the z-5 this round. No need for that yet.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man the z-6 really adds a shine. After a football break I'm back at it. Just buffed off round 1 of the z-2 and did a z-6 rubdown. I found myself trying to rub out "swirl marks" that came out of nowhere until I realized they were reflections of lines on the wall in my garage. :thumbs:

Time for round 2.

·
Registered
936 Posts
The gloss enhancer it think is Z-6 can be watered down to go further and I think works better that way. I have eight coats of Zaino at present and the shine is getting better with each coat. The results after this 8th coat are unbelievable!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ateam_77 said:
The gloss enhancer it think is Z-6 can be watered down to go further and I think works better that way. I have eight coats of Zaino at present and the shine is getting better with each coat. The results after this 8th coat are unbelievable!
8!!!! Dang. I've done 2 and it already looks great. I guessed the results would stop being worth it after three or so, but maybe I was wrong.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Chris said:
Man the z-6 really adds a shine. After a football break I'm back at it. Just buffed off round 1 of the z-2 and did a z-6 rubdown. I found myself trying to rub out "swirl marks" that came out of nowhere until I realized they were reflections of lines on the wall in my garage. :thumbs:

Time for round 2.
I would love to see a photo of the finished product because I will have your twin Sol. :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Chris said:
8!!!! Dang. I've done 2 and it already looks great. I guess the results would stop being worth it after three or so, but maybe I was wrong.
I thought the results from #8 were very noticable and fantastic. I didn't do all coats at once I dont drive in the rain and the car stays clean so every now and then I add another coat. They say the coats build and get better as opposed to regular wax wich will not build. I took some photos but havent down loaded them yet. If they show the results I will post them.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I can't believe ND lost to USC! What a bummer! Go Dawgs! Should be #4 after FSU loses to UVA!!!

Oh..yeah...Zaino is great... (keeping in theme with the thread)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
ateam_77 said:
Here are some photos. I don't know how much they realy show but here they are anyway. To show sthe results I think something up close in the right light would be best.
Hey ateam, your car looks great. I just recieved my zano, but have to take it slow I can only use one arm so I guess it'll be lucky to have two coats, Ateam did you use the clay bar
? I thought I would let this pass the first time around.

·
Registered
936 Posts
deluke said:
Hey ateam, your car looks great. I just recieved my zano, but have to take it slow I can only use one arm so I guess it'll be lucky to have two coats, Ateam did you use the clay bar
? I thought I would let this pass the first time around.
Don't pass on the clay bar it is essential to a good finish. Get your husband to do it. :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts