Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Edmunds.com said today......

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=107210

DETROIT — General Motors has revived the Zeta rear-wheel-drive platform for North America, six months after it chopped the program.

Jim Queen, GM's vice president of global engineering, told Automotive News a revised version of Zeta is back on track. Developed by Holden, GM's Australian division, the new Zeta platform — or "architecture" in GM-speak — will form the basis of the next-generation Pontiac Grand Prix and GTO; the Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo; and a new version of the Camaro.

The cars could appear as early as next year — an indication of how advanced Zeta was before GM pulled the plug — though they are more likely to be 2009 or 2010 model-year cars. The revised Zeta program is being developed in GM's Australian engineering center.

What this means to you: The success of the Dodge Charger and the Ford Mustang has put pressure on GM to include some traditional American muscle in its U.S. range — so Zeta's back on track.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Interesting. Can't wait to see the new Camaro :)

I wonder if pulling the plug was a political move to allow the Australian unit control of platform?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Zeta-lite, as it has been referred to.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
mceb said:
Interesting. Can't wait to see the new Camaro :)

I wonder if pulling the plug was a political move to allow the Australian unit control of platform?
Could be. I wonder if that was the only way to guarantee that it would be a global platform.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Current rumor is that there is no plan to bring back the Firebird only the Camaro

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
SolLate said:
Current rumor is that there is no plan to bring back the Firebird only the Camaro
Yeah, doesn't seem likely that they would have the GTO and a Firebird.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
mcbman said:
How 'bout the Firebird?!
Nope, I even in the past they hinted the Camaro could come back, but the Firebird was essentially dead. Maybe in 10 more years they will revive the name.

Besides, if the next GTO is done right, they won't need the Firebird. The GTO with proper styling and performance is just as good, and for anyone who wants a little smaller, lighter, better handling vehicle than the GTO, there will be the Solstice GXP.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Editguy said:
Yeah, doesn't seem likely that they would have the GTO and a Firebird.
Especially since the two cars would be built off the same platform too. Doesn't really make much sense at all in the same line especially since they're saying the GTO and Grand Prix will be on this platform. The G8 was supposed to use it too, so I don't forsee Pontiac having 4 Zeta platform based cars at one time.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Grand Prix and G8 will prolly not be two vehicles. Last time Pontiac had more than 1 model of car named with numbers instead of names was in the 80's, 6000, P2000, and T1000. Could never figure the letters with the number on the smaller ones, other than T for turtle.

·
5,600 Posts
Great news! Whatever car they build off the Zeta, I hope they put an interior in it as good as the one in the GTO.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
jimbo said:
Great news! Whatever car they build off the Zeta, I hope they put an interior in it as good as the one in the GTO.
:agree: If the exterior looked as good as the interior I would have already bought a GTO.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Hopefully the Zeta GTO will be built in the US which should allow GM to offer options and not a take it or leave it setup. Also, hopefully it will allow them to bump the base price down to make cars with options from getting too expensive.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I assume everyone here has seen the orange w/ black striped Camaro pics which popped up the first time the Zeta was mentioned. Word I had just prior to Labor Day was this design is still on the table, and apparently it's a go. The meeting was to take place just after Labor Day for a decision on if the Camaro was to make it. Looks like a 2009 model year for it, and the old clay model hasn't changed. I'd love it if they put a car out like those pics... however I think GM will be two years too late on it and the "retro" styling won't help it out. They should have moved on with the original plan for it as a 2007.

·
Registered
182 Posts
rlhammon said:
I assume everyone here has seen the orange w/ black striped Camaro pics which popped up the first time the Zeta was mentioned. Word I had just prior to Labor Day was this design is still on the table, and apparently it's a go. The meeting was to take place just after Labor Day for a decision on if the Camaro was to make it. Looks like a 2009 model year for it, and the old clay model hasn't changed. I'd love it if they put a car out like those pics... however I think GM will be two years too late on it and the "retro" styling won't help it out. They should have moved on with the original plan for it as a 2007.
The Mustang success, along with the serious threat of this Challenger coming to market, should help kick a new Camaro into play within the next few years.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
A retro Camaro along with all the other cars that could be built off a Zeta-lite platform could really help give GM that stage two product boost after the initial Kappa lust dies down some. It would let them get a performance mid-sized Roadster into Buick too without having to use the Kappa line. I could easily see another Roadster in the cady lineup too below the XLR but above whatever Buick could make since the XLR is one damn expensive car.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
gravana1 said:
The Mustang success, along with the serious threat of this Challenger coming to market, should help kick a new Camaro into play within the next few years.

Don't get me wrong... I think the Camaro would be great to bring back, however I think the styling design they have (a very retro look, I'm sure Gravana has seen the pics/renderings that I have as well) is going to be too late to market.

Chrysler hit it great with their current lineup, and Ford timed it out well with the Mustang. GM would have had a hit if the Camaro was at NAIS for 2006... but I think they will be a few years too late with their design for the car.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Besides, if the next GTO is done right, they won't need the Firebird. The GTO with proper styling...
Won't argue that one, to each his own, 'one man's fruit' and all that.

Fformula88 said:
and performance is just as good....
Surely you are not suggesting the current GTO is lacking in the performance area? Already it kicks ass over the Mustang GT, recent Camaros and Firebirds and will run down and around virtually every other 35,000 coupe on the road. More's better, no doubt about it, but the current GTO is no slouch.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts