Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like a new proposal would have the 2.4 ZOK moving from C-stock to B-stock.(same as the GXP) Justification for this is that the Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S will best fit into CS if the Solstice ZOK and the Miata MX-5 MS-R were removed and put into BS.
Link is here: http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/12-fastrack-july-solo.pdf

IMO, why in the world would you put the 2.4 Sol ZOK and the GXP in the same class. It would not effect me as much b/c I run a GXP in BS, but my brother runs a ZOK in CS that I have co-driven and feel that it is a competitive car in CS, but in BS not so much.(b/c of the HP disadvantage)

·
Registered
233 Posts
best way to deal with this is to send letters to SCCA they welcome any input on class changes

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Not familiar with everything SCCA but sounds like BS to me. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I saw this update yesterday, and thought it was unfair to the Miata and Z0K. I also saw that the M3's were moving to FS. This puts cars like the CTS-V in a class with the Boss 302 mustangs, the M3's and more. The CTS-V's need to shed a lot of weight to compete with these smaller monsters.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Seems like the ZOK and Miata should be aloud to remove some weight when moving up in class.
I hate the idea that just because a new car isn't up to par with the current competition, they just bump the Sol and Miata out. How about leave them in place, and give the Subaru/Scion the opportunity to lose weight. Makes no sense.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Looks like a new proposal would have the 2.4 ZOK moving from C-stock to B-stock.(same as the GXP) Justification for this is that the Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S will best fit into CS if the Solstice ZOK and the Miata MX-5 MS-R were removed and put into BS.
Link is here: http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/12-fastrack-july-solo.pdf

IMO, why in the world would you put the 2.4 Sol ZOK and the GXP in the same class. It would not effect me as much b/c I run a GXP in BS, but my brother runs a ZOK in CS that I have co-driven and feel that it is a competitive car in CS, but in BS not so much.(b/c of the HP disadvantage)
I am not sure how a car with more power and less weight (Scion FR-S, 2600# 200hp) would be in a lower class then a car with less power and more weight (2.4L Solstice 177hp, 2950).

·
Registered
53 Posts
letter sent...

My opinion is that the BRZ/FR-S won't be able to keep up with the RX-8 on most national level courses, so killing the Z0K still won't make the BRZ/FR-S a winner. But if it gets classed in STX, none of the top drivers will run it in stock anyway.

George M

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I am not sure how a car with more power and less weight (Scion FR-S, 2600# 200hp) would be in a lower class then a car with less power and more weight (2.4L Solstice 177hp, 2950).
Has anyone actually weighed a 2.4L manual transmission Solstice? I was under the impression that it was roughly 2900 for the auto, 2600 for the manual.

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
Has anyone actually weighed a 2.4L manual transmission Solstice? I was under the impression that it was roughly 2900 for the auto, 2600 for the manual.
I don't think that is correct.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Everything I've found says the curb weight for the MT Sol is 2860

·
Registered
40 Posts
My NA Coupe was 2850 at the Mineral Wells Pro 2 years ago (pretty much as delivered from the factory). I'm sure it could shed 20-30 pounds but not much more in Stock legal trim. Light weight race only type wheels would probably be the biggest drop.

The reason for moving the Z0k and MSR out of the class is they are the current "titans". The car no one wants to own and the car no one wants to build are the current top dogs without a question. Why even bring a regular Solstice or MX5, which there are many more of? This is one of those for the good of the class kind of things.

Right now the BRZ/FR-S twins have a soft suspension and are going to be tire limited in stock trim. I believe 245s are as wide as the stock car can go. That is a lot of rubber to be down compared to 285s.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
My NA Coupe was 2850 at the Mineral Wells Pro 2 years ago (pretty much as delivered from the factory). I'm sure it could shed 20-30 pounds but not much more in Stock legal trim. Light weight race only type wheels would probably be the biggest drop.

The reason for moving the Z0k and MSR out of the class is they are the current "titans". The car no one wants to own and the car no one wants to build are the current top dogs without a question. Why even bring a regular Solstice or MX5, which there are many more of? This is one of those for the good of the class kind of things.

Right now the BRZ/FR-S twins have a soft suspension and are going to be tire limited in stock trim. I believe 245s are as wide as the stock car can go. That is a lot of rubber to be down compared to 285s.
The coupes must be lighter then the regular convertibles then. Usually we see them closer to 2900, with the GXP's more in the 2950 range.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Coupes should be a hair heavier than the verts.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Please explain how? A fiberglass coupe should weigh less than a vert top.... my opinion! I could be wrong.......
Every mAgazine and even gm said that the coupe gained weight in coupe form.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Our 06 factory built ZOK's are in the mid to high 26xx's depending on fuel load and tire choice.

One thing I learned with mine when I went to STR is that the car REALLY responds to a tune. You can fix the rev-limiter issue and the enrichment delay issue.

A top car in SS recently had the owner admitting to doing a tune. The car was protested and was going to be taken to a dealer but the owner fessed up to doing the tune before it was followed through on.

I have heard/seen many top level cars with tunes on them. It is especially easy to spot when you have multiple cars of the same model at an event.

I wish that the SCCA/SEB would allow tuning of ECM/ECU's. It is seriously difficult to "catch" a cheater on many, many models of cars.

The NA cars can be faster in an autocross environment than the ZOK GXP's. It all depends on the course. GXP's mph in 2nd gear is a VERY big weak point on the car.

I personally think the BRZ/FRS is going to get it's butt slaughtered in a CS class less ZOK and MSR...

FM

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Please explain how? A fiberglass coupe should weigh less than a vert top.... my opinion! I could be wrong.......
Composite (not fiberglass) weighs less than fabric? There's the big hunk of glass, the center section is alloy (with framing), and there's a large metal structural bow behind the driver. Then there's the interior finishing of it all. In all, I think it ends up being about 30 lbs heavier than the vert.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It sounds like there are three important variables in getting to the lowest possible Z0K weight for autox. The first is the factory build rather than package retrofit with the biggest difference being the A/C since most people won't rip out A/C. The second is the older models being lighter. My 09 factory Z0K recently weighed in mid-28xx. I wonder what was heavier on the later models. Prep level is the third factor. Mine still has heavy factory muffler, light but not super light wheels, and heavier rear bar.

The BRZ doesn't need to be super competitive in stock, but if the SEB wants to give it a competitive home, I would put it in ES.

·
Registered
5 Posts
im in my second year of autocross and this is a kick in the gut.

I run my Z0K in tire class, (mainly because i like to drive to events) and this will completely kill my PAX modifier, I already needed to be within 8/10th's of a GXP, and on a 60 second 'non technical' course, im fighting to keep up.

For those of you that consider the Z0K a 'titan' you have obviously not driven one. Yes its good, but hardly an overdog, the RX8 and 370 are winning just as many tours around the country. If the car was classed wrong, we would see it at the top of the PAX sheets every event, which its not.

My understanding is the SCCA used to put cars in the BEST class for the car. Not the class that will offend the least amount of miata/brz drivers..

C stock is the best class for that car. it gives up power to most of the other cars in the class, and weight to the rest.

I own a z0k because i wanted to learn to autocross in a car that was competitive so i wouldnt be second guessing my car, if i was slow, it would be because i was driving poorly..

I will not invest in A6's and trailer to events just to get my butt handed to me in B stock, which is maybe exactly what the SEB wants..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts