Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to understand the different suspension terminologys, FE2, FE3, and ZOK. From what I have read here the FE2 is used on the base and the FE3 on the GXP. What does ZOK mean? I have a 08 GXP with a DDM pro-beam, backbone, and LV front brace. I am thinking about changing the sway bar bushings to the grease able type from Energy Suspension. I'm not sure about changing the bars themselves, I can't see that making much of a difference. I don't want to change the shocks, mainly because I don't want to lower the car even a bit.

Cheers, Don from Nanaimo

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
I have been trying to understand the different suspension terminologys, FE2, FE3, and ZOK. From what I have read here the FE2 is used on the base and the FE3 on the GXP. What does ZOK mean? I have a 08 GXP with a DDM pro-beam, backbone, and LV front brace. I am thinking about changing the sway bar bushings to the grease able type from Energy Suspension. I'm not sure about changing the bars themselves, I can't see that making much of a difference. I don't want to change the shocks, mainly because I don't want to lower the car even a bit.

Cheers, Don from Nanaimo
Read the first message in this thread: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f42/suspension-packages-usage-58501/

This was written by the engineer that designed the suspension on our cars.

Z0K is the GM supplied race suspension provided in the Z0K Club Sport option.

Z0K on a base model is equivalent to the FE3 standard GXP Suspension. Z0K on a GXP is an upgrade, springs, shocks, sway bars and a new rear crossmember.

Changing to the GXP Z0K sway bars makes a difference that can be immediately felt in the seat of the pants.

I would suggest downloading the info in the first message in that thread so that you have it available when needed to refer to when discussing this subject. Also, use the search feature, as there are many threads dealing with this subject.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I upgraded from the FE2 to the FE3 (non GXP ZOK is the same) suspension in my N/A, by purchasing the GXP springs, shocks and sways from another board member. In my mind it helped a lot, as my car no longer feels loose in the middle of a tight corner. I have no idea if it would be as noticeable going from FE3 to GXP ZOK. I also put in the DDM braces (tunnel, rear stabilizer, and shock tower). The most profound change came with the tunnel brace, then the rear, then the front, which was hardly noticeable to me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I had already read the article by the GM engineer as well as many other postings but was still a little confused by the ZOK thing, thanks for clearing that up for me. At this point I am considering changing the sway bar bushings only to the red ones from Energy Suspension. I too noticed a big change with the pro-beam and backbone. I installed them both at the same time so can't say which one made the biggest difference. I installed the LV front brace a few months later but not too sure how much of a difference that made.

Thanks again, Don from Nanaimo

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I read online at a company that was selling the ZOK GXP suspension and it said that the sway bars alone would lower the ride height of the suspension by a few millimeters. Any truth to this? I need to know because my new Sprint Line springs are not as low as I would like them in the front after i had them installed. If I could lower it just a little bit more and stiffen it up at the same time it would be great.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
I read online at a company that was selling the ZOK GXP suspension and it said that the sway bars alone would lower the ride height of the suspension by a few millimeters. Any truth to this? I need to know because my new Sprint Line springs are not as low as I would like them in the front after i had them installed. If I could lower it just a little bit more and stiffen it up at the same time it would be great.
I find that a bit hard to believe, but you never know. :dunno:

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Nope. That's BS. Sway bars are loosely coupled to both wheels and only resist opposite wheel travel. I have the ZOK's on mine and no height difference.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Nope. That's BS. Sway bars are loosely coupled to both wheels and only resist opposite wheel travel. I have the ZOK's on mine and no height difference.
That's what I though. So they are just stiffer because of the the thicker diameter, correct?

·
Registered
590 Posts
One other correction.
In the ZOK setup, the shocks are the same as the GXP and redline. All are FE3
The only time you get revalved shocks is with the GM SPO package.

LNF Non ZOK
Front Shock 15901220 Code C646
Rear Shock 15901221 Code C648

FE3 LNF (Non Z0K) (All Non-Z0K LNF Kappa) AKA GXP, Redline, Opel GT
Front Shock 15901220 Code C646
Rear Shock 15901221 Code C64

Only the springs are different.
To get a different shock you must purchase the following

GM SPO Perf Parts
Front Shock 88965295 Code C388
Rear Shock 88965296 Code C390

Unfortunately you can't buy just the shocks, but the GM SPO Springs have the same rate as the ZOK springs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts