Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would really like to know if this intake will set off any codes / check engine lights? Wondering if anyone else in the forum has installed this on their GXP. Love it? Hate it? Any reason why I should / shouldn't get it over the GMPP or DDM Works one? Also curious to know about the mounting points; hoping it isn't being held up entirely by just the clamp alone! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
The only one I can say for certain that won't give a CEL is the GMPP CAI. You get zero added performance from a CAI. It just makes the integrated BOV louder, so you will hear the pssshhhh more. I can tell you that if the K&N filter is oiled, it WILL set a CEL. Make sure any filter you get is oil-free. There are always mixed reviews with products. I've got a Fujita, and while hard to tune, it's never given me an issue. Others that have had it, hated it and had all sorts of issues.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only one I can say for certain that won't give a CEL is the GMPP CAI. You get zero added performance from a CAI. It just makes the integrated BOV louder, so you will hear the pssshhhh more. I can tell you that if the K&N filter is oiled, it WILL set a CEL. Make sure any filter you get is oil-free. There are always mixed reviews with products. I've got a Fujita, and while hard to tune, it's never given me an issue. Others that have had it, hated it and had all sorts of issues.
Thanks for your input! That totally sucks that an oiled K&N filter would through a CEL...is it because the oil molecules will eventually accumulate on the MAF sensor...? Is the GMPP intake a dry filter? If I went with the GMPP intake, where might I be able to order one? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
I Installed a CAI strictly for appearances. Since it is sourcing its air from the same location that the OE intake did, the air is no colder or denser than that furnished by the OE equipment. Plus, the engine bay looks so much better with all that tupperware gone.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Yes - the fact that it cleans up the engine bay appearance, plus another minor plus is the elimination of the breakage prone plastic nipple on the stock intake.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Check out the big shot air intake by RPM MOTORSPORTS
Not without having to be retuned for this one. 2 cars on Facebook have set CELs because of this CAI.....just a warning!!!

Reactions: RedSolstice2006

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just recently installed the big shot CAI from RPM and have had no issue's yet, after I install the upgraded turbo and high flow cat Martin Scott will be doing a stage 3 ecm tune.
Engine Bay 5.jpg

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Sol Painter,

Any chance those billet caps are still available somewhere? I'm betting you purchased them when stuff was plentiful for the cars. I don't need anodized, plain milled aluminum would be wonderful. I noticed them immediately in your engine compartment photos. Very nicely done.

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sol Painter,

Any chance those billet caps are still available somewhere? I'm betting you purchased them when stuff was plentiful for the cars. I don't need anodized, plain milled aluminum would be wonderful. I noticed them immediately in your engine compartment photos. Very nicely done.

Richard Snipes
Yes, I purchased the billet caps years ago from the company in Montreal. I know they quit making them shortly after I purchased them. I also purchased the gas cap cover.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
6/29/2020

Outstanding collection of the caps. this is the kind of stuff that never seems to show up on the forums or eBay. Probably have to harvest off a deceased car. Surely more than one was sold, although this is the first I've heard of, or seen, the gas cap. I appreciate your reply. By chance do you still have the name of the company in Montreal so I can at least reference "part so-and-so" made by...when searching?

Glad to see you still have and still enjoy your Solstice. I see so many in the world crashed, trashed or, on the forums, being sold as the community ages or changes direction for whatever reason. Personally I plan to be with my GXP until the end.

Take care, stay safe and thanks,

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
235 Posts
Richard,
I had to look it up. I had the instructions but no bill. I guess it was around 2008 - 2009 when I purchased them. It was MRZ Performance Products. (Véhicule remis à neuf usagé et accidenté léger) They are a salvage yard and had a machine shop to manufacture the billet covers.
Shortly after purchasing they shut down the machine shop. They were quite pricey but my now teenage baby is worth it. Thanks for the comments, I also plan on keeping my Sol forever.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts