Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have anyone of you heard of the ZZP Z54 Turbo? The ZZP website says that it's compatible with the LNF but does not say if it will fit in our cars specifically. I did call ZZP but no one ever picks up. I was originally shopping for a new big wheel turbo when I saw this and this seems to give a whole lot more power for the same price as going with a big wheel turbo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fact that they are not picking up is making me think twice about it. I think ill just go with the RPM stage 3 kit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ideally wanted 350whp but ill take 330whp that the rpm turbo should make. Do you know of any alternatives?

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
I ideally wanted 350whp but ill take 330whp that the rpm turbo should make. Do you know of any alternatives?
A different EFR turbo should get you there, although you will lose some bottom end and probably introduce added lag. Be aware that you would be skirting the point where many would advocate attention to the bottom end (rods, pistons) to ensure reliability.

Search "efr turbos for solstice" for options.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The EFR turbos are out of my budget unless I get one used. Ive been stalking the WTB threads for any wr-x kit turbos that might pop up.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a an upgraded k04 with a bigger compressor and a 9 blade turbine wheel and a high boost wastegate.

The turbo is a few months old, I recently upgraded to an EFR turbo.

I was able to do mid 12 s pass in the 1/4 mile with horrible 60'

If you are interested let me know.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
I also have a modified K04 with similar mods. But that would only get you at best 375 bhp or around 320 whp or a tad less, which isn't what the OP said he wanted.

Frankly, if one can't afford to do a modified engine properly because they don't have the necessary cash, they should either revise the power target or wait until they do have the cash. To do otherwise can result in the Big Bang syndrome....

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
The stock turbo is good for upto 280-290whp, are you at that point yet or still stock? If i were at that point i wouldn't want to spend 2k for a mere 40whp gain. Keep calling zzp.
I don't believe that is correct. The stock turbo flows enough to get the engine up to about 310 bhp, NOT whp. That is equivalent to about 265 whp. If you want more, you need more flow and a larger impeller.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
The stock turbo flows enough to get the engine up to about 310 bhp, NOT whp. That is equivalent to about 265 whp. If you want more, you need more flow and a larger impeller.
I'm not sure that is correct. I dyno'ed at ~ 300whp with a stock turbo. I also have a high flow cat, methanol injection, and a hp tuners tune from DDM Dave. The shop where I had the car dyno'ed said that the tune wasn't even that aggressive and said we probably had a little more left if I wanted to retune.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use DDM for my performance needs but that being said Kyle and the guys at ZZP are legit. You just have to decide what you want and go for it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went with a wr-3 kit from a user here on the WTB/sell section. It was the same price as the RPM kit so It was a no brainer.

·
Registered
272 Posts
A different EFR turbo should get you there, although you will lose some bottom end and probably introduce added lag. Be aware that you would be skirting the point where many would advocate attention to the bottom end (rods, pistons) to ensure reliability.
I never really looked at my boost and rpm before and after the 6758 but I didn't really notice much difference in lag. I was concerned about that too. I was initially leaning towards the 6258 because I didn't want to lose low end but [email protected] convinced me to get the 6758. I'm glad I did. Actually I was so impressed with responsiveness of the 6758 that i now have the 7163. I'm very curious to see how it does. Just getting ready to start the tuning process.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts